HEALTH ALERT - Coronovirus Update
Last night (3/11/2020), the City of Walnut was informed by local authorities that the first death from the novel coronavirus in Los Angeles County occurred at the local Pomona Valley Hospital. The patient was admitted to the hospital in full cardiac arrest on March 9th and unfortunately passed shortly after admission. It has been confirmed by the LA County Department of Public Health that family members of the patient are currently in quarantine.
As information is being released from County officials, it was revealed the patients’ travel history included a residence within the City of Walnut. The County also informed us the individual did NOT circulate around the City of Walnut and stayed primarily at the residence.
The City is communicating with LA County’s Department of Public Health for more information regarding the patients’ travel details. We will communicate more information as it becomes available from the County. For more information, contact the LA County Department of Public Health at (213) 240-8144 or email@example.com.
As a reminder Public Health continues to recommend that the public do the following to protect themselves and others from respiratory illnesses:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Limit close contact, like kissing and sharing cups or utensils, with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve (not your hands).
- Facemasks are most effective when used appropriately by health care workers and and those directly caring for people who are sick and by people who are sick (source control).
- Get a flu immunization if you have not done so this season.
Public Information Officer
City of Walnut